Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Opening My Eyes

I just recently decided to follow up on the one thing that I have been avoiding for a long time, my high blood pressure. I wasn't as educated as I should have been, but considering the fact that my husband has been diagnosed with heart disease at 33, my mom is currently on BP medication, and both my grandparents and an aunt died of stroke, I should have been paying more attention to my own blood pressure.

I went to have it checked, and it was high. The doctor told me it was 158 over 90! I couldn't believe it. I mean I'm 26 years old and not over weight, and my diet's not that bad...however, I am African American and not as active as I should be. Needless to say, I was a little scared and overwhelmed so I began to rethink how I lived my life.

I began running a mile 3 times a week for 2 weeks and lowering my sodium intake to see if it would bring my pressure down. After the first week I didn't see any major results. My BP went down to 148 over 88, which to me is still too high. By the end of the 2nd week my blood pressure was at 124 over 81!!! So shocked and in disbelief that exercise and diet did help, and that even with the genetic factor it can still be managed.

Knowledge is  key. I encourage everyone to educate themselves on things that effect your life as well as your loved ones. With information comes power and prosperity. If you can wake up and breath, you can take control of life's challenges and overcome them!

Michelle